“There are many ways to protecting your original creative work – whether it’s written, recorded or stored in computer memory. Humphries Kirk are internationally renowned as specialists in this field… how can we help you…?”
Humphries Kirk have established an international reputation as an authority in this field of law, helping artists, authors, designers and inventors to protect their ideas and creative works – so much so that our specialist team advises the Design Business Association and their members.
Keeping abreast of the latest changes in legislation, we advise clients on how to safeguard their rights in relation to all aspects of protecting, licensing or exploiting their intellectual property. These can include:
- Copyright – this automatically exists as soon as any sound recording, film, broadcast or original music, drama or literature is created or stored on computer memory, and normally lasts for the life of the author plus 70 years.
- Trademark – words, a graphic or a combination of the two that distinguish your product from its competitors, conferring an exclusive right upon the trademark owner to use the mark for goods and services in all countries where the mark is registered. A Trademark lasts (and can be renewed) every ten years and completely avoids the complex legal grey areas of “passing off” of unregistered trademarks.
- Patent – subject to detailed technical requirements and lasting up to 20 years, a Patent not only protects new inventions, but also how they work and what they’re made of – preventing others from making, using, importing or selling the invention without permission.
- Registered Design – based on the lines, shape, texture and applied materials of an object, Registered Design protects the overall unique visual appearance of an item, stopping others from creating designs that are too similar in appearance. If renewed every five years, Registered Design can last up to 25 years.
- Design Right – lasting up to 15 years, this is an automatic right of protecting original or unusual object design
Contact our specialists
For more information, contact one of our specialists.